Hello foodies! First of all –
So many good wishes and love to all for this New Year season! 😍😍
April comes with several ‘New Years’ for Indians! All most every state has their own new year and most of them fall in mid-April. Tomorrow will come with Bengali New Year ‘Poila Baisakh’. So, I think, I must share a special Bengali recipe today.
‘Mocha Ghanto’ is an authentic Bengali recipe. You know, Banana tree is an amazing one! Every part of this tree can utilize to make delicious dishes. ‘Mocha’ or ‘Banana-blossom’ or Banana flower is much known in Bengali cuisine for its taste; and used to make several dishes that can satisfy your taste buds! ‘Mocha Ghanto’ is one of them.
Mocha Ghanto (Banana-blossom Curry)
Prep Time: 40mins
Cook Time: 15mins
- Banana-flower or
- Potato (large)
- 3.Green chili: 3
- Grated coconut: 1/2 cup
- Ginger paste: ½ tsp.
- Chickpea: 1/3 cup
- Turmeric Powder: 1 tsp.
- Kashmiri Chili Powder: 1 tsp.
- Cumin Powder: 1 tsp.
- Garam Masala Powder: ½ tsp.
- Bay Leaf: 2
- Cumin seeds: 1/2 tsp.
- Mustard oil: 2 tbsp.
- Clarified Butter (Ghee): 1 tsp.
- Sugar: - to taste
- Salt to taste
- Soak the chickpea overnight in water. Drain the water and keep it aside.
- Separate the flowers after peeling away the outer layer of banana blossom. Take out each flower from the inflorescence. You have to take out a hard stalk, blackish at the top, from each flower. Now chop the flowers finely.
- Soak the chopped flowers in water with salt and turmeric powder and keep aside. Drain the water after some times (minimum 1 hr).
- Heat oil to a deep pan. Add bay leaves and cumin seeds to temper. Now add the potato, salt, turmeric powder and fry till it becomes golden brown.
- Add ginger paste and fry for 1-2 min.
- Now, add Kashmiri Red Chili Powder, cumin powder and some of water and mix well. Cook for 2-3 min.
- Add chopped banana blossoms, soaked chickpea, green chilies, grated coconut, sugar in it and mix very well. Cook again for 3-4 min.
- Add some water, mix well and cover with a lid. cook in low flame till the potatoes are cooked.
- Add the ghee and Garam Masala Powder before the flame of. Cover again for 5 min.
- Garnish with grated coconut.
My Tip: It’s better to oil the hands before chopping banana blossom to avoid black spots in hand.
To get rid of the Bitterness of Mocha or Banana-blossom, soak the chopped flowers in water with salt and turmeric powder over night.